Monday, May 4, 2015

Countdown is at 4 days

May 4th, Woodstock, MD

It's Monday of Go Week (fly from BWI to LAX on Friday, Orientation on Saturday, and the ceremonial dipping of the rear tire into the Pacific Ocean and start to Boston on Sunday).  As the word of my adventure is starting to spread I am receiving some typical questions as to the mechanics of the trip.

So let me take a moment here to answer some of the FAQs.:

The trip is part of an organized tour group/company called CrossRoads Cycling Adventures.  The trip covers 3400+ miles over 50 days- 45 riding days, 5 rest days.  The average mileage per riding day is approximately 85 miles.

I am expecting a group of about 25 riders plus a support staff of 5 or 6.  The support will include vehicles which are there for major mechanical malfunctions and for providing drinks and snacks at least at one rest stop each day.  Each day we will be given specific directions (cue sheets) to the next destination.

We will stay in motels every evening and most breakfasts and dinners will be provided.   As such the rider's focus is on cycling, eating, and rest, a huge advantage over trying to plan one's own independent trip.  The only "disadvantage", if you want to call it that, is that everything is on a set schedule.  We will be riding regardless of conditions- heat, wind, rain etc., the show goes on.

My bike was shipped out to LA and is now in the process of being reassembled at a bike shop near our start hotel.  We will be reunited on Saturday.

My training is basically complete....and I hope it will prove adequate!  I approach this with both excitement and apprehension as I'll be pushing myself harder physically and mentally then I have ever done.  I am ready to stop all the thinking and preparing and start pedaling!

No comments:

Post a Comment