Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Enchantment. And a shout-out to DF.

Tuesday May 19th, Holbrook AZ to Gallup AZ, 93 miles.

Similar ride to yesterday- same mileage,  mostly all on I-40 East, except one big factor......today, instead of a hostile wind, the wind was our friend.  We benefited from a nice tailwind and what a difference!  The riders have been getting a lot of flats in the past two days as the interstate shoulders are full of small wires which puncture even the most (supposedly) puncture resistant tires.  We are firmly in Indian country at present, specifically Navajo Nation.  We saw more livestock today, although for the most part the land is very rugged.  Very dry and arid land.    Towards the end of the ride we crossed into New Mexico- Land of Enchantment.

I want to take the opportunity for a quick shout-out to my friend and neighbor Don Farmer, who without, I may have never attempted this journey.  Don has been an avid road cyclist for sometime.  About six or seven years ago, when my only bike was a hybrid for tooling around, Don encouraged me to start road cycling.  He helped train (maybe over-train) me for my first century.  My first round trip to Frederick MD (about 60 miles) was among the hardest things I had ever done.  I have benefited from his experience.  Don had a serious unfortunate cycling accident in the fall of '13 that resulted in extensive hip surgery.  Don continues to recovery and I am hopeful he will be back on the road again soon (with Deb's approval of course).

Riding with the tractor trailers along I-40 East in Arizona


Sign at a SAG stop near AZ/NM border


Myself with the amazing Russ from Oregon, 76 years old and going STRONG.  Russ will be leaving us in ABQ.  With the LA to ABQ leg done he will have completed his cross-country trip over a several year period.

No comments:

Post a Comment