Thursday, June 4, 2015

A Century to Topeka and Glory



Wednesday June 3rd Abilene KS to Topeka KS, 105 miles

Today was a long, arduous and beautiful ride from Abilene to Topeka, with a distance of 105 miles and a lot of climbing, approximately "6000 feet (contrary to what most might think, eastern Kansas is far from flat).  Most of the ride was on lower traveled country roads with a pastoral backdrop, a real "brochure" type day.  And to top things off I had an exceptionally strong riding day, being the first of the riders to finish by in excess of 30 minutes.  I'm not sure if it was being rested from the day off, the many rolling hills reminiscent of some of the riding in western Howard County and Frederick County Maryland, or the overcast skies that kept temperatures down for much of the ride, but I was in my top form.  Of course I got a lot of attention and good nature kidding afterwards from my peers as I'm not by any means even close to be one of the best cyclists on this tour.  But I'll take it- it was a good feeling to be at my best .

At about the 30 miles point of the ride we reached the significant milestone of having completed half of our LA to Boston journey (approximately 1700 miles of the overall 3400).  It's all "downhill from here, right?   Topeka is a city of about 120,000 and is the capital of Kansas.  We loaded up on protein at dinner at Famous Dave's BBQ.


Above:  "Eat Mor Chikin"

With Jim

Above:  Main Street in a very small nondescript town between Abilene and Topeka





No comments:

Post a Comment