Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Riders on the Corn ( with apologies to The Doors)


Tuesday June 9th, Springfield IL to Champaign IL,  86 miles

Well truthfully today's ride was very similar to yesterday.  I checked with Wikipedia and Illinois is only 4th among corn production in the US (Iowa is first).  You could have fooled me.  The ride was flat, mostly rural and enjoyable except for the road, which was chocked full of cracks and potholes.  The State of Illinois is in bad shape fiscally and, at least on this road, it showed.  Weather today was on the warm side but the winds were favorable.

We ended on the suburban outskirts of Champaign, home of the University of Illinois, where we will take our 4th of 5 rest days.  Today was the 31st day since we left from the beach in Los Angeles ( 28 riding days and 3 off).  I estimate I have cycled about 2,250 miles.  To put that in perspective, prior to my start of this trip, my most miles cycled in a month were about 650 miles.  I think it is fair to assume this past month will be a "personal record", that I wont break.




Above: Corn field as far as can be seen



Above:  Somewhere between Springfield and Champaign


No comments:

Post a Comment