Wednesday, June 17, 2015

A Day In The Life

Tuesday June 16th Wooster OH to Niles OH, 93 miles

Woke up, fell out of bed, dragged a comb across my head.  Found my way downstairs and drank a cup, and looking up I noticed I was late......(Lennon & McCartney, A Day In The Life).

I've received some questions regarding what constitutes a typical day on Tour so I thought I'd try and give a bit of  flavor as to my "routine".

I wake at 5:20 am to get ready to start riding at 7 am.  During that period I have breakfast in the hotel, get dressed, apply sunscreen and chamois cream, repack my bags, prepared my Camelbak (hydration pack) and bottles with Gatorade and water, take my bike (which is with me in the room) and luggage out to the front of the hotel, inflate my tires, and get my game face on.

Generally we ride at our own individual paces, however riders of a similar pace will often ride together.  During the course of a typical day we  have two organized SAG stops to eat snacks, fruits, other goodies and restock on liquids.  On a 90 mile ride day those stops might be around the 30 mile and 60 mile marks.  The Tour has two vans that are utilized for the stops which more or less operate as a roving tailgate.  The riders are also free to stop at stores along the way as they see fit.  Some days riders may stop and have a "real lunch" though the SAG stops often have sandwiches and enough calories to sustain us.

On a normal day I  reach the hotel by around 2-3 pm (although I've been as late as 5:30 pm).  After checking in I usually have a two or three hours to do whatever personal things may need doing- finding recovery drinks, bike maintenance, shopping, laundry, email, blog, phone calls, etc.  There is always something to do!

At 5:45 pm we have a  mandatory "route rap " meeting in the hotel where we go over the cue sheet for the next day's ride.  Immediately following we then go to dinner- usually a restaurant within walking distance of the hotel.  Given the size of our dining party (nearly 20 usually ) it can take quite a while for everyone to get fed.  Usually I am back to the hotel by 7:30-7:45 pm where I  lay out things for the coming day and  hopefully have some down time.  I go to sleep around 9:00-9:30 pm (no issues getting to sleep!) and wake up and do it all again the next day.

Regarding today's ride it was very humid which culminated in an hour long thunderstorm that soaked me.  My legs definitely felt the efforts of the previous two long days.  There was also a good deal of climbing.  All in all a slog of a day for me.  Looking forward to the upcoming off day in Erie.



Another delicious hotel breakfast.


Rider's bags ready to be loaded in the Crossroads van in the morning before the start of the ride


Robin and Janel, two of the Crossroads staff that, among other things, drive the vans and prepare the SAG food

Before the first SAG stop


Tracy, owner and operator of Crossroads Cycling Adventures, at the first SAG stop

Crossroads staff member Jan, at the second SAG stop


Hotel room awaiting me at the end of a day


My new playful friend I met today at the second SAG stop.

In Ohio

No comments:

Post a Comment